Beware data bullshit
- Trying to teach the habit of digging deeper
- Bullshit = when you create non-sense bc you don't care
- Calling bullshit = even on lies, injustice
- Clean the information bullshit around us, similarly to physical environment
- We all create bullshit = we babble to look credible > be bullshit-neutral
- Methaphor: It often happens when you interpret or create viz, since you think you understand
- They critise smth similar to Tufte's chartjunk
- You don't need to undestand the black box, algorithm, to call bullshit – just understand what is getting in (source) and out (isn't it a bit too surprised)
- Publication bias – you only publish interesting and expected results – false positives. Desk-drawer effect.
- How to call bullshit? Make it ad absurdum. Attack the argument, not people. Make a dialogue. Give people benefit of the doubt.
- Self-bullshit is the worst!